Apply your imagination to this scenario….

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    GlenC
    GlenC

OK, it’s b…. cold outside, too cold to go play under the bonnet of the beast, which isn’t here anyway, it’s in getting a total steering rack/pump overhaul…. So it’s a good night to sit at the computer and play…

The scenario…

Your long-lost Great Uncle Freddie’s just shuffled of his mortal coil and remembered you in his will. He’s left you his car, the one owner 1974 Triumph 2500TC manual sedan he bought when he retired. It’s been garaged all its life, it’s got 29,546 genuine K’s on the clock, it still smells like a new car and even has the original tyres on it, and nobody has ever sat in the back seat. (Don’t laugh, one sold here on the Gold Coast just like this two years ago!)

He’s also left you some money to ‘fix up’ his prized Trumpy sedan. You don’t remember him, but he’s obviously heard about you and your love of all things Triumph. So here’s your chance to create the ‘ultimate’ sports sedan. The money is almost unlimited, but let’s not go handcrafting crankshafts, gold plating wheels, or anything really silly.

SO WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO TO UNCLE FREDDIE’S CAR?

Engine, transmission, diff, suspension, brakes, interior, exterior…

COME ON PEOPLE, GET THOSE IMAGINATIONS FIRING ON ALL SIX!

Glen.

britishcarfreak
    Keymaster

Seeing as there’s been no takers I’ll have a bash at answering.

If it’s that original I’d leave it the hell alone and put the money into something that’s already had some work done on it – like me present car.

RobbinsBM

Hi Glen,

Hmmmm, given it’s "only" a TC I would probably offer it to the local classic car museum (Southwards is a big one just north of Wellington). Having said that, NZ had an awful lot of Triumphs on the road, so an amazingly original one is not as uncommon as you might expect.

With unlimited budget I think there would be two ways I’d like to go:

Option 1:
    Bring my trusty PI back to showroom appearance. Then I’d sweep the mechanicals up to make her a bit more of a wolf in sheep’s clothing. On the mechanical side, that probably means:
    LSD at 4.63:1
    P-type overdrive (strong enough for every gear! woohoo 8 gears!)
    Balanced and blueprinted motor to fast road (175hp) spec.
    Electronic injection and full engine management system.
    Possibly add forced induction (either a supercharger or hairdryer)
    I’d be trying to create a car that looked absolutely standard, but went like a cut cat.

Option 2:
    Create a custom MK1 saloon. I’d probably refit a Triumph MK1 saloon with the MK2 PI interior. Mechanically I’d love to fit either a Stag or Rover V8 then mate it to a Triumph OD gearbox. I’d add the MK11 rear suspection to increase the track and fill the wheel arches a bit more. Exterior wise, I’d probably keep the car pretty standard adding shiny minilite wheels and PI style quarter panels.

Righto, enough day dreaming.

Back to work

GlenC

When I first started window shopping for a Trumpy a few years ago there were quite a few ‘one owner, low mileage’ ones popping onto the market. It figures, as these cars were probably bought by retirees who’d reached 60 or 65, and 30 years later were ending up in deceased estates or being sold because their owners were simply too old to drive them any more. They seem to have vanished in the last few years, maybe the original owners are now sadly all gone.

I’m still formatting my ‘dream’ Triumph sedan, which over the next 10 years or so will be born out of my red 2500S. At this point in time I’m concentrating on the restoration side of things, and still looking for a good vinyl interior for her. As I said in the first post, the power steering’s just been totally overhauled, and a restored original airconditioner goes in next. I’ve also had a bit of rust cut out of the floor, but it took my mechanic two weeks to find a welder who’d bend up a sheet of steel to match the curves in the floor. The rest just wanted to slap a bit of flat plate over the rusty bit and leave the crud underneath.

I think my first modifications will be to the suspension. Firmer shocks, lower springs, heavier swaybars etc. Once I start under the bonnet I want some cash behind me, and I’ll do it properly. PI engine, 175hp or so, manual gearbox, although probably a Toyota 5 speed simply for availablity and strength.

Hhhmmmmmmmmmm,,,, Dream on.

Cheers, Glen.

RobbinsBM

Hi Glen,

Hmmm, vinyl interior you say…. There was a bit of difference between the Aussie and NZ Trumpys due to the local import laws of the day.

But I’ve a mate just finished parting out an NZ 2500S with a bone coloured vinyl interior (look at the interior shots of our TC – its the same). Let me know if you are interested and I’ll put you in touch with him.

Cheers
    Bernard

GlenC

Hi Bernard,

I was just over your way last week, a few days in Christchurch then a couple in Auckland before coming home the ‘long way’ via Noumea on the P&O Pacific Star. Saw snow and coral sand in the same week!

Thanks for the offer on the interior, but unfortunately the cost of shipping a complete set of seats etc from NZ would be about the same as buying a complete parts car with a decent interior here. I’ve actually got my eye on a complete running 2500TC manual with a good interior for $2000 locally that will give me a mint bone vinyl interior plus overdrive gearbox conversion, not to mention all the spare parts from it and the parts car that goes with it, but it seems a shame to break up what looks like a perfectly roadworthy car just for bits for my project.

My daughter’s husband is a Christchurch boy, and his dad’s keeping his eye out for a Triumph estate for me. If he comes across one to ship to me and I haven’t got an interior for my sedan, I’ll get in touch.

Regards, Glen.

RobbinsBM

Hi Glen,

Long way home. Love it. Yep we’ve had a touch of the white stuff lately (not here in Wellington though – the wind is so strong it doesn’t get the chance to touch the ground!).

I know a chap with a burgundy PI wagon in fair condition which he may part with for around $nz3k. It;s been converted to carbs and is an auto, but otherwise would be pretty good. Alternatively, keep an eye out on http://www.trademe.co.nz as the occasionally come up (a 2000 wagon sold recently for around $nz1k).

If you’re ever in Wellington, sing out.

Regards
    Bernard

p.s. What’s a PI system worth in Aussie? I’m going through my spares and might be convinced to part with one if the dollars stack up

GlenC

Hi Bernard, have no idea what a PI system is worth, haven’t been game to ask actually! I’ve seen a few complete cars going cheaply, but most are far too far away from me to chase, and I haven’t really got anywhere to pull one apart at the moment anyway. My wife will KILL me if ever I suggest tearing one down on the driveway again, I swear!

The ultimate parts car for me would be a PI manual that’s been given a biff or rusted out, so it’s not worth repairing. That way I could justify parting it out. I did see a rusty S auto someone bought for $500 the other day, but that would defeat the purpose as it had the same interior problems mine already has, plus it was an auto. Not a bad buy however, the buyer found receipts in the glovebox for $3000 worth of suspension and engine work done in the last 6 months. Another deceased estate car.

Cheers, Glen.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account