Aussie Triumph Colours

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Norman
    Participant

Hi to all,

I am interested in the Aussie Colour issue also.

After an absence of 38 years from Triumph ownership, I have recently taken up a classic car hobby, and bought a 1970 sedan that, while originally a 2000 auto, was upgraded to a 2500 manual (with overdrive) in 1989.  This vehicle is also white, with paint code P18.  It was manufactured by AMI, which was a renamed Standard Motor Company plant that started to build CKD cars for other manufacturers.  I understand that the AMI colours were used on all the vehicles that they assembled.  Eventually Toyota bought out AMI, and the plant became a dedicated Toyota manufacturing plant.

I have also bought, but yet to pick up, a 2500S compliance plated 5/77.  It is a red, verging on orange colour that I think might be Pimento Red.  I don’t have the paint code available at the moment.  The one anomaly with this vehicle is that the speedo is in MPH, so I think that it may be a private import from the UK or some other market that was still using imperial units in 1977.  Could the colour be anything else than pimento red?

I would like to investigate the origins of this latter vehicle as well.  Is there any UK source for a chassis/engine number search that might identify the origins of my vehicle?

Thanks.

Glen
    Keymaster

Was it British Motor Heritage that had the numbers?

I found it very helpful to hang out at a friendly auto paint company and go through their books.  For my S (which used to be that bright brown/red colour) I found the original colours and even in this instance there were two versions of my colour (one with a white in it to increase it’s coverage as apparently red is very transparent).  It pays to be very careful when looking for these proper mixes as I could only work out (by trial and error) by painting a patch of my car and comparing it to find which one was right.

Site Administrator,
    AKA Glen Johnson from Hobart Tasmania.
    Owner of :
    //www.triumphowners.com/to-car/2500-s-2-7l-pi/
    //www.triumphowners.com/to-car/spitfire-4-mk1/
    //www.triumphowners.com/to-car/stag-mk2-3/

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account