PS rack adjustment

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Rod
    Participant

Hi Lads
    The book (haynes) says don’t try this at home. Whatever, does anyone have any clues as to a simple adjustment to remove a small amount of play, maybe 3 degrees at the steering wheel. play is in the rack. Or don’t bother as this is probably as good as it gets?
    Cheers
    Rod

Glen
    Keymaster

I’ve got way more than that in my stag and I hate it.  I just had the rack in my 2500 fully rebuilt by someone in Melbourne and it is now perfect and no leaks either.  It may just need another shim or two in there. Not a major deal to do but can be a pain.

Site Administrator,
    AKA Glen Johnson from Hobart Tasmania.
    Owner of :
    //www.triumphowners.com/to-car/2500-s-2-7l-pi/
    //www.triumphowners.com/to-car/spitfire-4-mk1/
    //www.triumphowners.com/to-car/stag-mk2-3/

Glen
    Keymaster

I’ve tried to fix my slop this weekend.  First I loosened the large locking ring/nut.  Then I tried cranking down the adjust a few degrees – but it felt tight.  I know I shouldn’t have done anything as it was correctly adjusted using a dial gauge as per text book but I still had slop.

It was no good – it ended up making the rack tight and the steering wouldn’t self center.

But I have heaps of movement at the pinion as it enters the rack.  probably 10deg or more.  It’s horrible back at the steering wheel and wanders on straight ahead driving and gives vibrations on gentle corners.

As far as I can tell there’s slop in the rack teeth where the pinion gear meets them and I don’t think that can be adjusted.  From what I read elsewhere this means the rack/pinion need to be re-cut or replaced.  This is a real pain.

To make matters worse the lower steering column shaft UJ’s both have play in them and make a knocking noise and slop a bit.  Also giving rotational slop.

I’ve changed all other bushes in the column.

Sadly I think there’s no solution to this problem other than a truly reconditioned rack.  Not just one that has had the seals done – LIKE MINE!  CRAP.

I’ve had so many problems with leaks and hassles with these racks over the years I’m tempted this time to try and find a modern rack and fit electronic power steering.

Site Administrator,
    Owner of :

Rod
    Participant

for some reason all my replies are bouncing. I hope this goes through.

Mr Moderator can you please advise  via my email?

Cheers

Rod

Glen
    Keymaster

Hi Rod,  I see your response.  Not sure what you mean by bouncing.  Do you mean emails direct to me?  I also see your private messages in the site.

Site Administrator,
    Owner of :

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account