Project on hold.
Last work circa 2007:
Have recently fixed panel alignment gaps by shortening door heights by 1/4″ and lengthening doors overall. Also lengthened custom bonnet by 1/2″.
I’m working through issues such as , wiring gremlins, body works blemishes such as mistakes in my respray job…. lots of fiddly stuff that is very hard.
Current State : Undergoing a full Body-Off Restoration.
Full rolling chassis complete – body welded up – primed, colour and clear coated, compounded and reassembling at present…
- Ashley Laminates Fibreglass fastback hardtop (currently being restored and repainted).
- Remote Oil Filter.
- Compression test shows 160, 152, 150, 150 psi across cylinders 1,2,3,4 when warm. Suspect this may go up when the motor is hot. Apparently a 1200GX should read 192psi.
- Thermo Switch triggered Smiths electronic engine cooling fan.
- Modified bulb holders from a 2500 S fitted inside the tail lights.
- SABELT TRW 3 Point harnesses.
- Custom machined billet alloy block inserted under the leaf spring to lower the rear by 1″.
- Stiffening braces and support boards for the panel work above the fuel tank.
- 330lb front springs with 1″ effective lowering height.
- Spax adjustables fitted all round on a setting of 7/10 clicks.
- TriumphTune rear Anti-Roll Bar.
- TriumphTune solid alloy steering rack mounts.
- Programmable 2 stage advance High-Energy ignition system with keypad security – currently set to a very mild and early advance. A standard A12 distributor has had the weights wired together and the advance plate locked on full. The vacuum advance has been removed and a plate mounted over the access hole.
- Bosch GT40 High Energy Ignition Coil.
- Bosch 3 wire (pre-heated) O2 Sensor.
- Modified OBX Daytona Lightweight seats on modified seat tracks.
- Custom dash configuration – original tacho and speedometer but with chrome surrounds, Ammeter, Vacuum, Dimmer, Hazards, 2500 Fuel guage, Oil Pressure pod directly in front of driver.
- MOMO leather and alloy gear knob.
- Modified 13″ steering wheel (re-drilled Holden mounting configuration)
- 7/8″ Front Anti-Roll Bar.
- 1982 model Toyota Corolla Radiator on custom mount brackets with 90psi cap and overflow into a 2500 bottle.
- Investigating front spoiler designs.
- Rear Battery conversion planned.
Datsun 1200 conversion notes:
Plenty of people seem to be curious about converting the spitty motor over to a Datsun 1200 (A12) motor. Seeing as I can’t be bothered typing out emails to everyone that asks I figured I’d note what I’ve observed from the conversion in my car (that a prior owner had done). So here goes…
From observation (and not having previously owned a spitfire) the changes are as follows:
- An extra cross member has been welded at the back of the datsun gearbox on the existing chassis rails.
- The datsun sump was cut up and welded to a new shape so that it would clear the steering rack.
- The carbs are on the other side so some basic plumbing changes have been done. Fuel lines on other side – ignition gear (coil) moved to other side of bulkhead.
- The datsun is sometimes a cable clutch (well mine is) so the clutch master cylinder was removed and a sleeve welded onto the bracket to accept the cable. An alteration therefore must have been made to the end of the clutch pedal arm.
- The manifolds are on the opposite side so some exhaust work would have been done. Mine is custom at present and is CRAP. Some two-bit idiot with no idea about gas flow welded something together….
- The radiator hoses come out the opposite directions on the block so an alternate radiator has been used. A radiator specialist told me mine was a renault radiator. It has had an altered bracket used to hold it to the chassis.
- The datsun 4spd box has the selector in a different spot so the gear stick has been reshaped (I assume by blowtorch) to clear the existing hole in the transmission tunnel. There is a pic on the site of the bent selector rod.
- The oil filter pokes out directly where the steering rack is so some magic trix have to be performed to get an oil filter in there. Mine is attached by a remote housing and adapter plate to provide clearance for the steering rack. The remote connector has in/out hoses that swoop around to a filter mounted on the bulkhead.
- The engine mounts seem to be a simple bracket assembly of mild steel which has been shaped in such a way that it accepts the standard spitfire engine mounts.
- The prop shaft has been built by a custom prop shaft business (it still has a sticker on it for the business).
- The datsun gearbox and original datsun car would have been the same 4.1:1 dif as my spitfire so that’s all cool and the speedo drive seems to match the spitfire speedo.
- I can send pics but let me know the areas you’re interested in. Most stuff is on my page.
Special Interest Projects
Fitting hazard light indicators to a Mk1 Spitfire
The little old mk1 doesn't come with a hazard switch. Or at least, my previously customised wiring loom doesn't have one. I've made a switch in the dash from a 2500 saloon but had to work out the wiring diagram myself.
Datsun 1200 Engine Cradle on Wheels
Fed up with having a lump hanging from a chain or sitting in the middle of the garage under the winch - so I made a little home for it and gave it some wheels. Great power to weight ratio at the [email protected]
Too much rust in too many places - thought it would be easier if I could spin it around. I couldn't resist the cool factor either.
Body-off Mk1 Spitfire Restoration
It may have looked cosmetically acceptable but inside it was riddled with rust and patched over with BOG. I couldn't stand the thought of taking the poor thing out in the rain and letting the water feed the rusting innards. Each prod with a screwdriver revealed more and more of the rot. I've got to do it properly. Seems like a good chance to respray the complete car in a new colour and also to do the Le Mans conversions.